Braised Chicken Thighs with Fruited Rice and Lentils
Makes 6 servings
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|6||skinless chicken thighs|
|3-1/2||cups canned chicken broth|
|3/4||cup uncooked basmati rice|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|2||tablespoons balsamic vinegar|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||cup uncooked red lentils|
|2/3||cup quartered dried apricots|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley|
- Heat oil in heavy, large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 10 minutes or until browned and no longer pink in center, turning once.
- Remove chicken and set aside.******
- Add chicken broth, rice, onion, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, cumin and pepper to saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in lentils, apricots and raisins.
- Arrange chicken on top of rice mixture in saucepan.
- Cover; simmer 40 to 45 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice and lentils are tender.
- Transfer chicken to serving plates. Stir cilantro into rice mixture. Spoon rice mixture around chicken. Garnish as desired.
Check out more recipes for Chicken & Other Poultry