Tuffy Stone of Cool Smoke serves up his hearty Braised Greens recipe. Stone appears in 'BBQ Pitmasters' on TLC.
|10||Pounds Collard and Mustard greens (cleaned thoroughly) (5 pounds of each)|
|1||Pound Bacon (small dice)|
|4||Tablespoon Garlic (chopped)|
|4||cup Onions (sliced)|
|1||Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper|
|1 1/2||Cup Honey|
|1/2||Cup Brown Sugar (packed)|
|4||Cup Cider Vinegar|
|6||Cup Apple Juice|
|4||Tablespoon Kosher Salt|
|1||Tablespoon Black Pepper (fresh ground)|
- Heat a large pot and render bacon until brown and crispy.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add greens and cook until they wilt, about 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Once finished spread out in large hotel pan and let cool uncovered in walk-in.
- Place in plastic container with lid, label and refrigerate.
- Greens should be handled carefully as to not tear them apart.
- Serve greens with tong and be sure to let them drain slightly when serving.
- Reheat greens slowly over medium heat to replenish steam table.
- Keep minimal amount hot.
- If greens appear to be drying out add more juice from cold storage container.
- Keep greens covered at all times.
- Greens should retain a firm texture.
- Do not allow Greens to become mushy.
Check out more recipes for Vegetable Side Dish