Braised Lamb Shanks
Makes 4 servings
|2||tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1/2||teaspoon ground black pepper|
|4||lamb shanks (about 4 to 5 pounds total)|
|2||to 3 tablespoons olive oil|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|4||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||cup beef or chicken broth|
|1||cup dry red wine|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, salt and pepper in large resealable food storage bag. Add shanks, 1 at a time, to bag; shake to coat lightly with seasoned flour. (Be sure to use all of flour mixture.)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add lamb shanks in batches; brown on all sides. Transfer lamb to plate; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to Dutch oven, if needed. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in broth, wine and rosemary; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Return lamb and any accumulated juices from plate to Dutch oven. Cover. Cook 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until lamb is fork-tender. Transfer lamb to serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim off and discard fat from juices in Dutch oven. Boil juices until reduced to 2 cups and slightly thickened. (Depending on amount of remaining liquid, this could take from 2 to 10 minutes.) Pour sauce over lamb.
|Serving Size:||1 lamb shank with about 1/2 cup sauce|
|Calories from Fat||39 %|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
Check out more recipes for Lamb & Game Meat