Makes 2-1/2 dozen cookies
|1||package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough|
|3||tablespoons unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder|
|1/4||cup all-purpose flour|
|1-1/2||teaspoons banana extract|
|Yellow food coloring|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Remove dough from wrapper; reserve 2/3 of dough. Place remaining 1/3 dough in medium bowl; let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes.
- For flower centers, add cocoa to dough in bowl; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Shape cocoa dough into 30 balls; place about 4 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- For flower petals, combine reserved dough, flour, banana extract and food coloring in medium bowl; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended and evenly colored. Divide dough into 30 pieces. Shape each piece into 6 ovals; place in circle around center ball on cookie sheet, leaving about 1/4-inch space between petals and center ball. Pinch outside ends of yellow ovals to points for petal shapes. Repeat with remaining yellow pieces.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until firm but not browned. Cool completely on cookie sheets.
"Dutch process" cocoa is unsweetened cocoa that has been treated with an alkali, giving it a darker appearance and a slightly less bitter flavor.
Check out more recipes for Cookies