Brunch-Time Zucchini-Date Bread
Combine zucchini and dates to make a delicious quick bread that's served with a spicy cream cheese spread–a great make-ahead addition to any brunch.
Makes 16 servings
|1||cup chopped pitted dates|
|1||cup whole wheat flour|
|1||cup all-purpose flour|
|2||tablespoons granulated sugar|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2||teaspoon baking soda|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cloves|
|1||cup shredded zucchini, pressed dry with paper towels|
|1||package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese|
|1/4||cup powdered sugar|
|1/8||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|Dash ground cloves|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8X4-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- For bread, combine dates and water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine flours, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cloves in large bowl. Beat eggs in medium bowl; stir in date mixture and zucchini. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare cream cheese spread. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and dash cloves in small bowl. Beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut bread into 16 slices. Serve with cream cheese spread.
|Serving Size:||1 slice (1/16 of loaf) with about 1 tablespoon spread|
|Calories from Fat||7 %|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|
Check out more recipes for Quick Breads