Butterfly Cupcakes the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 24 cupcakes
|1||package (18-1/4 ounces) cake mix, any flavor, plus ingredients to prepare mix|
|1||container (16 ounces) white frosting|
|Blue and green food coloring|
|Assorted candies and colored sugar|
|Red licorice strings, cut into 4-inch pieces|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 24 standard (2-1/2-inch) muffin pan cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks about 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Divide frosting equally between 2 small bowls. Add food coloring to each bowl, one drop at a time, to reach desired shades; stir each frosting until well blended.
- Cut cupcakes in half. Place cupcake halves together, cut sides out, to resemble butterfly wings. Frost with desired colors; decorate with candies and colored sugar as desired. Snip each end of licorice string pieces to form antennae; place in center of each cupcake.
Check out more recipes for Other Special Occasions