Cajun Sausage Dressing
Bill and Jen from TLC's 'The Little Couple' learned to prepare Cajun Sausage Dressing at Well Done Cooking Class in Houston, Texas.
|1||stick, unsalted butter, in all|
|1 1/4||lbs. Andouille Smoked Sausage, ground (about 3 cups)|
|4||cups chopped onions|
|2||cups chopped celery|
|2||cups chopped green bell peppers|
|2||tablespoons minced garlic|
|2||cups chicken stock|
|1 ½||cups very fine dry breadcrumbs, unseasoned (preferably French Bread)|
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over high heat. When the butter is melted, add 2 cups of the onions, 1 cup of the celery and 1 cup of the bell peppers; sauté until onions are dark brown but not burned, about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Andouille, cook, stirring and scraping the bottom frequently to prevent sticking, until the andouille is beginning to brown and the oil is beginning to render from the andouille, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic, butter and Tabasco. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a simmer; continue cooking until the oil rises to the top (until some of the water evaporates), about 10 minutes. Fold in the half of the breadcrumbs, using a bottom to top folding motion. When mixed in well, fold in the remaining breadcrumbs. Continue to fold until the breadcrumbs are evenly moistened but still somewhat dry and cakey. Remove from heat.
- Transfer mixture to an ungreased 8 x 8 inch baking dish; bake uncovered in a 425°F oven until browned on top, about 45 minutes, stirring and scraping pan bottom very well every 15 minutes.
Check out more recipes for Southern