Candy Cane & Wreath Ornaments the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Candy Cane & Wreath Ornaments
Making cookies this holiday season? Check out these tips for making Christmas cookies.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
|1/2||cup butter, softened|
|2-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1/2||teaspoon almond extract|
|1/4||teaspoon liquid green food coloring|
|1/4||teaspoon peppermint extract|
|1/2||teaspoon liquid red food coloring, divided|
|Creamy Decorator's Frosting|
|Assorted red candies|
- Beat sugar, shortening, butter and salt in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended. Beat in flour at low speed until soft dough forms. Remove half of dough from bowl; set aside. Divide remaining dough evenly between 2 medium bowls. Stir almond extract and green food coloring into one portion until well blended. Stir peppermint extract and 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring into remaining portion until well blended.
- Place level teaspoonfuls of red, green and white doughs on large baking sheet. Cover; refrigerate 15 minutes or until slightly firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place 1 teaspoon red dough, 1 teaspoon green dough and 2 teaspoons white dough on lightly floured surface. Roll out each portion into 6- to 7-inch rope with lightly floured hands. Place 1 green rope next to 1 white rope and 1 red rope next to remaining white rope. Twist each pair of ropes together 7 or 8 times. Shape red and white rope into candy cane and green and white rope into wreath; place on ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are firm. Do not allow to brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Prepare Creamy Decorator's Frosting. Tint half of frosting with remaining 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring. Spoon frostings into decorating bags fitted with writing tips. Pipe cluster of berries onto wreaths with red frosting. Glue candies onto wreaths with white frosting. Let stand 1 hour or until icing is set. Tie ribbon loops or bows onto each cookie for hanging.
Check out more recipes for Christmas