Makes 6 to 8 servings
|1||cup sugar, divided|
|Fresh whole and sliced strawberries for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat 5-1/2- to 6-cup ring mold in oven 10 minutes or until hot.
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar in heavy, medium skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 8 minutes or until sugar is completely melted and deep amber color, stirring frequently. Do not allow sugar to burn.
- Immediately pour caramelized sugar into ring mold. Holding mold with potholder, quickly rotate to coat bottom and sides evenly with sugar. Place mold on wire rack. Caution: Caramelized sugar is very hot; do not touch it.
- Combine half-and-half and milk in heavy 2-quart saucepan. Heat over medium heat until almost simmering; remove from heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Lightly beat eggs and egg yolks in large bowl until blended but not foamy; gradually stir in milk mixture. Pour custard into ring mold.
- Place mold in large baking pan; pour hot water into baking pan to depth of 1/2 inch. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted into center of custard comes out clean.
- Remove mold from water bath; place on wire rack. Let stand 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- To serve, loosen inner and outer edges of flan with tip of small knife. Cover mold with rimmed serving plate; invert and lift off mold. Garnish with strawberries. Spoon melted caramel over each serving.
Check out more recipes for Mexican