Cassoulet the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 8 servings
|1||pound fully-cooked smoked sausage, such as Polish, Italian or garlic, sliced|
|1||boneless pork loin roast (about 3/4 pound), cubed|
|2||tablespoons packed brown sugar|
|1||tablespoon fresh lemon juice|
|Fresh oregano sprigs for garnish|
*Bretonne is the classic French name for a dish of seasoned beans.
- Prepare Bretonne; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, turning occasionally. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Cut sausage into 1/4-inch slices with utility knife. Cut pork into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat until hot; add 1/4 of pork and sausage. Cook until browned on all sides. Remove pork and sausage to paper towels; drain well. Repeat process until all meat is browned; set aside.
- Pour off drippings to remove grease; discard. To deglaze skillet, pour water into skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 2 minutes, scraping up browned bits and stirring constantly. Stir in sugar and juice; bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Stir deglazed pan drippings mixture and reserved crumbled bacon into reserved Bretonne.
- Spread 1/2 of Bretonne in lightly greased 2-1/2-quart ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven. Top with browned pork and sausage. Spoon remaining Bretonne over browned meats.
- Cover and bake 2 hours. Cool 10 minutes. Serve in 8 individual serving bowls. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for French