Checkerboard Cookie the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 1 checkerboard cookie
|3/4||cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened|
|2-3/4||cups self-rising flour|
|Red and black decorating icings|
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; stir to combine. Add self-rising flour; stir until just combined. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll 1/4 of dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut 24 circles with 1-inch round cookie cutter. Place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies turn light golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack; cool completely.
- Combine scraps of dough with remaining dough. Roll on lightly floured surface to 12-inch square. Place on greased 15-1/2X12-inch cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until middle does not leave indentation when lightly touched with fingertips. Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes. Slide checkerboard onto wire rack; cool completely.
- Divide surface of checkerboard into 8 equal rows containing 8 equal columns. Alternate every other square with red and black icing to create checkerboard. Spread red icing on 12 checker playing pieces and black on remaining 12 checker playing pieces. Allow pieces to stand until icing is set. Place red pieces on black squares and black pieces on red squares.
Check out more recipes for Cookies