Cheesy Onion Flatbread
Makes 2 flatbreads, 8 wedges each
|1/2||cup plus 3 tablespoons honey, divided|
|2-1/3||cups warm water (105° to 115°F), divided|
|1-1/2||packages active dry yeast|
|6||tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|3||cups whole wheat flour|
|4-1/2||teaspoons coarse salt|
|3||to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|1||large red onion, thinly sliced|
|1||cup red wine vinegar|
|1||cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|1/2||teaspoon onion salt|
|Black pepper to taste|
- Place 3 tablespoons honey in large bowl. Pour 1/3 cup water over honey. Do not stir. Sprinkle yeast over water. Let stand about 15 minutes until bubbly. Add remaining 2 cups water, 3 tablespoons olive oil, whole wheat flour and cornmeal. Mix until well blended. Stir in salt and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour until mixture clings to side of bowl.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a smooth and satiny dough, about 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. Place each half in large, lightly greased bowl; turn over to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F) until doubled.
- Meanwhile, combine onion, vinegar and remaining 1/2 cup honey. Marinate at room temperature at least 1 hour.
- Grease two 12-inch pizza pans; sprinkle each with additional cornmeal. Stretch dough and pat into pans; create valleys with fingertips. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Drain onion; scatter over dough. Sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, cheese and onion salt. Season with pepper.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until flatbread is crusty and golden. Cut each flatbread into 8 wedges. Serve warm.
|Serving Size:||1 wedge|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Calories from Fat||24 %|
Check out more recipes for Quick Breads