Chicken and Cucumber Salad (Goi Ga Tom) the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|1||quart plus 3 tablespoons water, divided|
|3||chicken thighs (about 14 ounces)|
|2||medium cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced|
|1||large carrot, cut into matchstick-size strips|
|2||tablespoons fish sauce|
|1-1/2||tablespoons fresh lime juice|
|1||clove garlic, finely chopped|
|1/2||cup roasted unsalted peanuts|
|4||shelled, deveined jumbo shrimp, cooked|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh basil|
|1||tablespoon chopped green onion tops|
- Heat 1 quart water in medium saucepan over high heat to boiling. Add chicken. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain chicken; let stand until cool enough to handle. Skin and debone chicken; cut into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumbers and carrot in large bowl; sprinkle with salt. Toss to mix well; let stand 15 minutes.
- For dressing, combine remaining 3 tablespoons water, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and garlic in small bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Chop peanuts; then crush slightly in mortar with pestle or on board with rolling pin.
- Squeeze cucumber mixture to extract liquid; discard liquid.
- Combine cucumber mixture, chicken and peanuts in medium bowl; drizzle with dressing. Toss to mix well; refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Cut shrimp in half lengthwise, leaving tails attached. Mix cilantro, mint, basil and green onion in small bowl.
- Transfer salad mixture to serving dish. Garnish with shrimp; top with mixed herbs.
Check out more recipes for Thai