Chicken Cherry-Yaki Stir-Fry the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Chicken Cherry-Yaki Stir-Fry
Makes 4 servings
|1||small piece fresh ginger, 3/4 inch long|
|2||whole chicken breasts, split, skinned and boned|
|2||tablespoons teriyaki sauce|
|2||tablespoons dry sherry|
|1||tablespoon lemon juice|
|4||green onions for garnish|
|6||to 8 ice cubes|
|1/4||cup slivered almonds|
|1-1/2||cups tart red cherries, pitted (frozen or canned)|
|2||ounces Chinese rice stick noodles|
|Peanut or vegetable oil|
|6||green onions, diagonally sliced into 1-inch pieces|
|2||small carrots, thinly sliced|
|2||cups snow peas|
|4||ounces sliced water chestnuts, drained|
- To prepare fresh ginger, peel tough skin from ginger with paring knife or vegetable peeler. Cut ginger into three equal pieces; set aside.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces on cutting board; set aside.
- Combine ginger pieces, teriyaki sauce, sherry and lemon juice in medium bowl. Add chicken, turning to coat with marinade. Cover; marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to prepare green onion brushes for garnish, trim off stems (green part) of 4 onions to make 4-inch lengths. Using sharp scissors, cut each onion lengthwise into very thin strips, leaving one end uncut. Fill large bowl about half full with cold water. Add prepared green onions and ice cubes. Refrigerate until onions curl, about 1 hour; drain.
- To toast almonds, spread almonds on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown; stir frequently. Remove almonds from baking sheet and cool; set aside.
- Thaw cherries, if frozen, in medium bowl. Drain cherries, reserving juice; set aside.
- To prepare rice stick noodles, cut noodle bundles in half; gently pull each half apart into smaller bunches. Heat 3 inches oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until deep-fry thermometer registers 375°F. Using tongs or slotted spoon, lower 1 bunch of noodles into hot oil. Cook until noodles rise to the top, 3 to 5 seconds. Remove noodles immediately to paper towels using slotted spoon; drain. Repeat with remaining bunches. Keep noodles warm until ready to serve. Drain and discard oil.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Discard ginger pieces. Blend reserved cherry juice into cornstarch in cup until smooth. Stir in reserved marinade; set aside.
- Reheat wok over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to wok, swirling to coat all sides. Heat oil until hot, about 30 seconds. Add chicken to wok; briskly toss and stir chicken with wok utensil or wooden spoon, keeping chicken in constant motion, 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken from wok; set aside.
- Reheat wok over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to wok, swirling to coat all sides. Heat oil until hot, about 30 seconds.
- Add sliced green onions, carrots and snow peas to wok; briskly toss and stir vegetables with wok utensil or wooden spoon, keeping vegetables in constant motion, 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, adding more oil to wok if needed.
- Stir chicken into vegetables in wok until well combined. Push chicken-vegetable mixture to side of wok; add cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in cherries and water chestnuts; heat through.
- Serve chicken-vegetable mixture over rice stick noodles. Sprinkle with almonds. Garnish with green onion brushes.
Check out more recipes for Asian