Chicken Enchiladas the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|1||broiler-fryer chicken (about 3 pounds), cut into 8 pieces|
|3||fresh poblano chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined and diced|
|1||large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|1/2||cup finely chopped white onion|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2||cup chicken broth|
|1-1/2||cups whipping cream|
|12||corn tortillas (6-inch diameter)|
|2||cups (8 ounces) shredded queso Chihuahua or Monterey Jack cheese|
|Green onions and slivered red bell peppers for garnish|
|Arroz Rojos (recipe follows, optional)|
- Place chicken in single layer in 12-inch skillet. Sprinkle with chilies, tomato, white onion, garlic, cumin and salt; add broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from skillet with tongs, shaking off vegetable pieces. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Skim and discard fat from skillet. Bring remaining broth mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 4 to 8 minutes until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Pour reduced broth mixture into 13X9-inch baking dish.
- Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken. Using fingers, pull chicken into coarse shreds.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat cream in medium skillet over medium heat to just below boiling; remove from heat.
- Dip 1 tortilla in cream with tongs a few seconds or until limp. Remove, draining off excess cream. Spread about 3 tablespoons chicken down center of tortilla.
- Roll up; place on sauce in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, cream and chicken. Pour any remaining cream over enchiladas.
- Sprinkle cheese over enchiladas. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted. Garnish, if desired. Serve with Arroz Rojos, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Mexican