Chipotle Tamale Pie
Chipotle chilies are smoked jalapeño peppers. Look for cans of smoky hot chipotle chilies in the ethnic section of your supermarket.
Makes 6 servings
|3/4||pound 93% lean ground beef or 93% lean ground turkey|
|1||cup chopped onion|
|3/4||cup diced green bell pepper|
|3/4||cup diced red bell pepper|
|4||cloves garlic, minced|
|2||teaspoons ground cumin|
|1||can (15 ounces) pinto or red beans, rinsed and drained|
|1||can (8 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained|
|2||canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced (about 1 tablespoon)|
|1||to 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from canned peppers (optional)|
|1||cup (4 ounces) low-sodium reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese|
|1/2||cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|1||package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread mix|
|1/3||cup low-fat (1%) milk|
|1||large egg white|
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook turkey, onion, bell peppers and garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain fat. Sprinkle turkey mixture with cumin.
- Add beans, tomatoes with juice, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, if desired. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Spoon turkey mixture evenly into prepared dish, pressing down to compact mixture.
- Combine corn bread mix, milk and egg white in medium bowl; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter evenly over turkey mixture to cover completely.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until corn bread is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
|Calories from Fat||23 %|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Check out more recipes for Mexican