Chocolate Nut Bars
Makes 24 bars
|1/2||cup uncooked quick oats|
|1/2||cup hazelnuts, chopped|
|1/2||cup walnuts, chopped|
|3/4||cup powdered sugar|
|8||ounces (1-1/4 cups) semisweet chocolate chips|
|1/3||cup corn syrup|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil, pressing foil into corners to cover completely and leaving 1-inch overhang on sides.
- Spread oats on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool; place in large bowl. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Spread hazelnuts and walnuts on baking sheet. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or just until cut sides begin to brown lightly. Let cool; add to toasted oats. Stir in powdered sugar; set aside.
- Heat chocolate chips and shortening in small heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Spread evenly on bottom of prepared 8-inch square pan. Let stand in cool place 15 to 20 minutes or until chocolate mixture begins to set, but is not firm.
- Combine butter and salt in microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 20 to 30 seconds or until butter is melted and foamy. Stir in corn syrup; let cool slightly and add vanilla. Stir corn syrup mixture into oat mixture just until moistened. Gently spoon over chocolate, spreading evenly into corners. Score lightly into 4 strips, then score each strip into 6 pieces. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Remove bars from pan, lifting foil by edges. Place on cutting board; cut along score lines into 24 pieces. Remove foil. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Check out more recipes for Candy