Citrus and Cream Cake Beth Ayala
Beth Ayala created this Citrus and Cream Cake recipe in the second season of TLC's 'Ultimate Cake Off'.
|5 1/2||cup all purpose flour|
|1||tsp. baking soda|
|4||sticks unsalted butter|
|1 1/2||tbsp orange zest (2 oranges)|
|1||cup orange juice|
|2||tsp vanilla extract|
|1/4||tsp Cream of tartar|
|3||lb butter (room temperature)|
|2||lb melted white chocolate|
|zest of 1 lemon|
|1 1/8||cup fresh lemon juice|
|1||lb unsalted butter|
Makes four 10” round cake layers.
- Cream sugar and btter until light and fluffy (approx. 7 minutes).
- Add eggs one at a time, blending well each addition. Add orange zest.
- In a separate bowl measure out dry ingredients (flour, salt, soda). Combine buttermile with orange juice.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk/juice mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Line four 10" cake rounds with parchment paper and fill with batter. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20 min turning every 10 minutes.
- Put 2 Cups of the sugar in a pot with the water.
- Bring to boil and cook till it reaches 248 degrees. Do not stir.
- Meanwhile, whip egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla to stiff peaks. Add 1 cup of sugar, slowly.
- Pour hot sugar into egg white mixture (speed 1) in a steady stream. Mix on low speed until cool. Add butter. Add melted chocolate. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Prepare a double boiler. In a large metal mixing bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients and whisk together. Add the eggs and stir until combine.
- Add the juice and mix well. Cook over a double boiler, stirring occasionally, until temperature in center reaches 180 degrees. Remove from heat, add butter and mix well.
- Fill cake with white chocolate buttercream and lemon curd. Ice with white chocolate buttercream.
Check out more recipes for Cakes