Classic English Toffee
Makes about 1-1/4 pounds toffee
|1||cup unsalted butter|
|3||squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate|
|3||squares (1 ounce each) bittersweet chocolate|
|1/2||cup chopped toasted pecans|
- Line 9-inch square pan with heavy-duty foil, leaving 1-inch overhang on all sides.
- Combine butter, sugar, water and salt in heavy 2- or 2-1/2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Attach candy thermometer to side of pan. Continue boiling about 20 minutes or until sugar mixture reaches hard-crack stage (305° to 310°F), stirring frequently. Watch closely after temperature reaches 290°F. Temperature will rise quickly and mixture will burn above 310°F.) Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Immediately pour into prepared pan, spreading to edges. Cool completely.
- Microwave chocolates in small microwavable bowl on MEDIUM (50%) 5 to 6 minutes or until melted, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Spread chocolate evenly over toffee. Sprinkle chocolate with pecans. Refrigerate about 35 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Carefully break toffee into pieces without dislodging pecans. Store in airtight container at room temperature between sheets of waxed paper.
Make your homemade gift even more special by creating a unique gift box. Decorate an unfinished papier mâche or wood box with acrylic paints, markers, stamps or fabric. Use masking tape to create stripes and stencils or stickers to make shapes. Line the box with coordinating tissue paper and wrap it with matching ribbon.
Check out more recipes for European