Cookie Bowl and Cookie Fruit
Makes 1 bowl and 4 dozen cookies
|1||cup butter, softened|
|2||teaspoons grated orange peel|
|5||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1||cup sour cream|
|4||egg yolks, divided|
|4||teaspoons water, divided|
|Red, yellow, blue and green liquid food colorings|
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add whole eggs, orange peel and vanilla; mix until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in another large bowl. Add half of flour mixture to butter mixture; mix at low speed until well blended. Add sour cream; mix well. Add remaining flour mixture; mix well.
- Divide dough into 4 equal sections. Cover; refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Place 1 egg yolk in each of 4 separate bowls. Add 1 teaspoon water and food coloring to each; beat lightly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll 1 section of dough on well-floured surface to 12-inch circle. Carefully transfer to inverted 1-1/2-quart ovenproof bowl. Press overlapping portions of dough together; trim edges. Paint sides of bowl as desired, using small, clean craft paintbrushes and egg yolk paint.
- Place bowl on wire rack and then on cookie sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on bowl.
- Roll remaining dough on well-floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with fruit-shaped cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Paint as desired with egg yolk paint.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Check out more recipes for Cookies