Homemade Corn Tacos with Beef, Chili and Cilantro
Episode 81: Portia's Menu
|Two 8-ounce/225-g||New York steaks, excess fat trimmed, meat cut crosswise into thin strips|
|1 teaspoon/1 g||dried Mexican oregano|
|¾ teaspoon/3 g||salt|
|½ teaspoon/1 g||ground coriander|
|¼ teaspoon/.5 g||ground allspice|
|¼ teaspoon/.5 g||garlic powder|
|2 tablespoons/30 ml||olive oil|
|1||white onion, thinly sliced|
|1||small red jalapeno chili, thinly sliced|
|½ bunch||cilantro, chopped (about 2 tablespoons/3 g)|
|1 pound/450 g||freshly prepared masa dough for tortillas (available at Latin markets)|
|2 cups/110 g||thinly sliced romaine lettuce|
|1 cup/220 g||guacamole|
|½ cup/120 ml||purchased tomato salsa|
|¼ cup/60 g||crema mexicana|
- Combine the steak strips, oregano, salt, coriander, allspice and garlic powder in a bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based sauté pan over a high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes or until tender. Add the chilies and sauté for 2 minutes or until tender. Transfer the onion mixture to a platter and set aside.
- Lay half of the beef slices in a single layer in the same pan and cook for 1 minute per side or until they are golden brown and medium to rare. Transfer the beef to the platter with the onions. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Return the beef and onion mixture to the pan. Add the cilantro and toss the beef slices together with the onion mixture and cook 1 minute longer. Transfer the beef and onion mixture to the platter. Fill the tortillas with the beef and onion mixture, lettuce, guacamole, tomato salsa and crema and serve immediately.
- Preheat a medium-sized, nonstick sauté pan or heavy cast iron skillet over a medium to high heat. Shape 2 ounces/60 g of the masa dough into the size of a small golf ball. Place the masa ball between two sheets of plastic (a freezer bag split in two works well).
- Flatten the plastic-covered masa ball in a tortilla press. If you don't have a tortilla press, you can use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is 1/16 inch/2 mm thick). Remove the tortilla from the press and peel off the plastic.
- Place the tortilla in the pan or skillet and cook for about 1 minute or until brown spots appear on the bottom of the tortilla. Turn the tortilla and cook for about 1 minute longer or until brown spots appear on the bottom and the tortilla puffs slightly.
- Transfer the tortilla to a kitchen towel and wrap the tortilla with the towel to keep it warm, or place the tortilla in a tortilla warmer. Repeat the process with the remaining masa dough (making approximately 8 tortillas in total).
Check out more recipes for Mexican