Cornmeal, Sausage and Chile Casserole the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 6 servings
|4||ounces uncooked turkey sausage breakfast links|
|1/2||cup diced onion|
|1||medium red bell pepper, diced|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2||to 1 teaspoon chili powder|
|1||cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|1/2||cup uncooked yellow cornmeal|
|1||can (about 4 ounces) diced mild green chiles, drained|
|1/2||cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese|
|1/2||cup salsa (optional)|
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove sausage from casings. Add sausage, onion and bell pepper to skillet. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring to break up meat, until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in cumin and chili powder; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add broth to skillet; bring to a boil. Gradually add cornmeal; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly to break up lumps. Transfer mixture to large bowl; set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375?F. Spray 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir chiles and cheese into cornmeal mixture. Stir in whole eggs. Gently fold one-quarter of beaten egg white into cornmeal mixture. Fold in remaining egg white. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until center is set and edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces. Serve immediately with salsa, if desired.
You can find fresh turkey sausage in the fresh meat section of the grocery store.
|Serving Size:||1 piece with 2 tablespoons salsa|
|Calories from Fat||34 %|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Check out more recipes for Casseroles & Dishes