Crayon Craze the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 16 to 18 servings
|1||(14X10-inch) cake board, covered, or large platter|
|2||containers (16 ounces each) white frosting|
|4||flat-bottomed ice cream cones|
- Trim top and side of cake. Measure 4-1/2 inches down long sides of cake; draw line across top of cake with wooden toothpick to create 9X4-1/2-inch rectangle. Using toothpick line as guide, carefully cut halfway through cake (about 1 inch). Do not cut all the way through cake.
- Cut cake in half horizontally from 9-inch side just to horizontal cut made at 4-1/2-inch line. Remove 9x4-1/2x1-inch piece of cake; reserve for another use. Round edges of 9-inch side to resemble top of crayon box as shown in photo. Place cake on prepared cake board.
- Tint 1 container frosting gold. Tint 1 cup frosting green. Divide remaining frosting into 4 parts, (about 1/4 cup each). Tint one part red, one yellow, one orange and one blue.
- Frost entire cake with gold frosting. Using medium writing tip and green frosting, pipe the word CRAYONS on cake. Pipe stripes and two green triangles on bottom of box and decorative borders around box as shown in photo.
- Gently cut ice cream cones in half vertically with serrated knife. Frost each cone different color (red, yellow, orange and blue). Place frosted cones on cake, just below rounded edge, to resemble crayon tips.
Check out more recipes for Cooking with Kids