Cream of Chicken Soup
Makes 4 servings
|1||cup uncooked white rice|
|3||cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|1||skinless chicken breast (about 6 ounces)|
|1||stalk celery, coarsely chopped|
|1||carrot, thinly sliced|
|1/4||cup coarsely chopped onion|
|3||sprigs fresh parsley|
|1-1/4||cups evaporated skimmed milk|
|1/4||teaspoon dried thyme leaves|
|1/8||teaspoon white pepper|
|1/8||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|2||tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley|
|1||green onion, finely chopped|
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken broth and chicken in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes, skimming off any foam that rises to surface. Add celery, carrot, onion and parsley sprigs. Simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink near bone and vegetables are tender, skimming off any foam that rises to surface.
- Remove chicken breast from saucepan. Let stand 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Remove chicken from bone. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Add rice, chicken pieces, milk, thyme, pepper and nutmeg to saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until soup thickens, stirring constantly.
- Top servings evenly with finely chopped parsley and green onion.
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Calories from Fat||11 %|
Check out more recipes for Soups