Creamy Chicken & Vegetables with Puff Pastry the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Creamy Chicken & Vegetables with Puff Pastry
Makes 6 servings
|2||whole chicken breasts, split (about 2 pounds)|
|1||medium onion, sliced|
|4||carrots, coarsely chopped, divided|
|4||stalks celery with leaves, cut into 1-inch pieces, divided|
|1||frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed|
|2||tablespoons butter or margarine|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1/2||pound fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|1/2||cup all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon dried basil|
|1/4||to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper|
|1||cup frozen peas, thawed|
- To make chicken stock, place chicken, sliced onion, 1/3 of carrots and 1/3 of celery in Dutch oven. Add enough cold water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Remove chicken; cool. Strain stock through large sieve lined with several layers of dampened cheesecloth; discard vegetables. Refrigerate stock; skim off any fat that forms on top. Measure 2 cups stock.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones; discard. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Place remaining carrots, celery and enough water to cover in medium saucepan. Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll puff pastry out on lightly floured surface to 12X8-inch rectangle. Place on ungreased baking sheet; bake 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and mushrooms; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Stir flour, basil, salt and pepper. Slowly pour in reserved chicken stock and milk. Cook until mixture begins to boil. Cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in reserved chicken, peas, carrots and celery. Cook until heated through. Pour mixture into 12X8-inch baking dish; top with hot puff pastry. Bake 5 minutes until puff pastry is brown. Garnish as desired.
Check out more recipes for Chicken & Other Poultry