Creole Red Bean and Rice Salad
Makes 4 servings
|1||cup dried red beans|
|1/2||teaspoon salt, divided|
|6||sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped|
|1/2||cup basmati or Texmati rice|
|1||medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|3/4||cup finely diced red bell pepper|
|3/4||cup finely diced celery|
|6||green onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|Cherry tomatoes for garnish|
- Place beans in large saucepan; cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 1 hour. Return to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered 30 minutes; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook 15 to 30 minutes more or until tender, adding tomatoes during last 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add rice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare Creole Dressing. Set aside.
- Drain bean mixture and rinse under cold water; drain. Place beans in large bowl. Add rice, squash, pepper, celery and onions to beans.
- Pour Creole Dressing over bean mixture; toss to blend. Serve on lettuce leaves. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Southern