Creole Smothered Pork the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 11 minutes
Makes 4 servings
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|4||pork loin chops (5 ounces each), trimmed of fat|
|1||cup chopped green bell pepper|
|3/4||cup chopped yellow onion|
|3/4||cup thinly sliced celery|
|1||(14-1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes|
|1||cup fresh or frozen cut okra, thawed|
|1/2||teaspoon dried thyme leaves|
|1||packet boil-in-bag rice or 1 cup uncooked instant rice|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|1/8||to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce|
- Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add pork; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned on one side. Remove pork from skillet; set aside, browned side up.
- Add pepper, onion and celery to drippings in skillet; lightly spray with cooking spray. Cook and stir over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, okra, thyme and bay leaf to skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pork and any accumulated juices; spoon some sauce over all. Reduce heat. Cover tightly; simmer 10 minutes or until pork is barely pink in center. Remove porkto serving platter; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Increase heat of skillet to medium-high. Bring tomato mixture to a boil; cook 1 minute to reduce slightly. Remove skillet from heat. Add parsley, salt and hot pepper sauce; stir to blend.
- To serve, spoon rice around outer edges of pork chops. Spoon tomato mixture over pork.
|Serving Size:||1 pork chop with 1/2 cup vegetable mixture and 1/2 cup cooked rice|
|Calories from Fat||25 %|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Check out more recipes for Pork