Crisp Fish Cakes
Makes 6 to 8 servings
|Ginger Dipping Sauce|
|1||pound boneless catfish, halibut or cod fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1||tablespoon fish sauce|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro|
|2||teaspoons grated lemon peel|
|1||teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger|
|1/8||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|Peanut oil for frying|
|1||head curly leaf lettuce|
|1||medium green or red apple, cut into thin strips or 1 ripe mango, diced|
|1/2||cup fresh cilantro leaves|
|1/3||cup fresh mint leaves|
- Prepare Ginger Dipping Sauce; set aside.
- Process fish pieces in food processor 10 to 20 seconds or just until coarsely chopped. Do not purée. Add fish sauce, garlic, chopped cilantro, lemon peel, ginger and red pepper; process 5 seconds or until combined.
- Rub cutting board with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Place fish mixture on board; pat evenly into 7-inch square. Cut into 16 squares; shape each square into 2-inch patty.
- Heat 1 to 1-1/2 inches oil in Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat until oil registers 360°F to 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Place 4 patties on slotted spoon and lower into hot oil.
- Fry patties in batches 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and fish is opaque in center. (Do not crowd pan. Allow oil to return to temperatur between batches.) Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels; drain.
- Serve with lettuce leaves, apple, cilantro leaves, mint and Ginger Dipping Sauce. To eat, stack 1 fish cake, apple strips, cilantro and mint in center of lettuce leaf. Drizzle with sauce; enclose filling in lettuce leaf.
Check out more recipes for Asian