Crispy Duck the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|1||whole duck (about 5 pounds)|
|1||tablespoon rubbed sage|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|3||cups vegetable oil|
|2||large Granny Smith or Rome Beauty apples, cored and cut into thin wedges|
|1/2||cup clover honey|
- Remove neck and giblets from duck. Cut wing tips and second wing sections off duck; wrap and freeze for another use. Trim excess fat and excess skin from duck; discard. Rinse duck and cavity under cold running water; pat dry with paper towels. Cut duck into quarters, removing backbone and breast bone.
- Place duck in 13X9-inch baking dish. Combine sage, salt and black pepper. Rub duck with sage mixture. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- To steam duck, place wire rack in wok. Add water to 1 inch below rack. (Water should not touch rack.) Cover wok; bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Arrange duck, skin sides up, on wire rack. Cover; steam 40 minutes or until fork-tender. (Add boiling water to wok to keep water at same level.)
- Transfer cooked duck to plate. Carefully remove rack from wok; discard water. Rinse wok and dry. Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat until oil registers 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Add 1/2 of duck, skin sides down. Fry 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp and golden brown, turning once. Drain duck on paper towels. Repeat with remaining duck, reheating oil.
- Pour off oil. Melt butter in wok over medium heat. Add apples; cook and stir 5 minutes or until wilted. Stir in honey and bring to a boil. Transfer apples with slotted spoon to warm serving platter. Arrange duck on apples. Drizzle honey mixture over duck.
Check out more recipes for Game Meat