Danish Orange Cookies (Orangesmekager) the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Danish Orange Cookies (Orangesmekager)
Makes about 2-1/2 dozen bars
|1/2||cup butter, softened|
|1/2||teaspoon orange extract|
|2||tablespoons grated orange peel|
|1-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|4||squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate|
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, orange extract and grated peel until well blended.
- Gradually add flour. Beat at low speed until well blended. Stir in additional flour, if necessary, to form soft dough. Form dough into disc; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease cookie sheets; set aside.
- Unwrap dough and place on lightly floured surface. Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into 2X1-inch bars. Place bars 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Gently press dough trimmings together; reroll and cut out more cookies. (Rerolled dough will produce slightly tougher cookies than first rolling.)
- Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in 1-cup glass measure in microwave on MEDIUM (50%) 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate, coating 1/2 way up side. Scrape excess chocolate on bottom of cookie back into cup. Transfer cookies to waxed paper; let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until set.
- Store tightly covered between sheets of waxed paper at room temperature.
Check out more recipes for European