Date Pinwheel Cookies the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Date Pinwheel Cookies
Makes 6 dozen cookies
|1-1/4||cups dates, pitted and finely chopped|
|3/4||cup orange juice|
|1/2||cup granulated sugar|
|3||cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided|
|2||teaspoons vanilla, divided|
|1||cup packed brown sugar|
|4||ounces cream cheese|
|1||teaspoon baking soda|
- Combine dates, orange juice, granulated sugar, butter and 1 tablespoon flour in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook 10 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla; set aside to cool.
- Beat brown sugar, cream cheese and shortening in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed about 3 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat 2 minutes longer.
- Combine remaining 3 cups flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add to shortening mixture; stir just until blended. Divide dough in half. Roll one half of dough on lightly floured surface into 12X9-inch rectangle. Spread half of date mixture evenly over dough, leaving 1/4-inch border at top short edge. Starting at short side, tightly roll up dough jelly-roll style. Wrap in plastic wrap; freeze at least 1 hour. Repeat with remaining dough and date mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets. Unwrap dough. Using heavy thread or dental floss, cut dough into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cookies stand on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Check out more recipes for Fruit