Deep-Fried Stuffed Shells
Makes 8 servings
|16||uncooked jumbo pasta shells|
|1||can (6-1/2 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked or 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed|
|1||cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese|
|1||medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped|
|2||tablespoons sliced green onions|
|1/2||teaspoon dried basil|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||cup dry bread crumbs|
|Vegetable oil for frying|
|Tartar sauce for serving|
|Crisp salad greens, carrot curls and dill sprigs for garnish|
- Cook shells according to package directions until tender but still firm; drain. Rinse under cold running water; drain again.
- Invert shells on paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Slightly beat 1 egg in large bowl. Add tuna, cheese, tomato, green onions, basil and pepper; mix well.
- Using large spoon, stuff cooled shells with tuna mixture.
- Beat remaining 1 egg with water in small bowl. Place bread crumbs in large, shallow dish. Dip each stuffed shell in egg mixture and roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat 2 inches oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until oil reaches 365°F; adjust heat to maintain temperature. Fry shells, a few at a time, in hot oil 1-1/2 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Serve with tartar sauce. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Pasta