Makes 6 servings
|3||tablespoons butter, divided|
|2||tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese|
|1/2||cup chopped onion|
|1/4||cup chopped green bell pepper|
|1/4||cup chopped red bell pepper|
|1||cup yellow cornmeal|
|1-1/2||cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese|
*Egg whites must be free from any yolk to reach proper volume when beaten.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 1-1/2-quart soufflé dish with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle bottom and side of dish evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in medium heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to small bowl; set aside.
- Combine milk, cornmeal and salt in same saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in Cheddar cheese until cheese is melted. Stir in onion mixture.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until stiff but not dry; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks in separate large bowl. Stir into cornmeal mixture. Stir 1/3 of egg whites into cornmeal mixture. Fold remaining egg whites into cornmeal mixture until evenly incorporated. Pour into prepared soufflé dish.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Vegetarian