Your guests will be "tempted" to ask for seconds when they taste these devilishly delicious chicken pies.
Makes 10 to 12 servings
|1||package (16 ounces) hot roll mix plus ingredients to prepare mix|
|1||pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|3/4||cup chopped onion|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1-1/4||cups sliced zucchini|
|1||can (8 ounces) peeled diced tomatoes, drained|
|1||can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained|
|1||teaspoon dried basil|
|1/2||teaspoon dried oregano leaves|
|Salt and black pepper|
|1||cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese|
|Red food coloring|
- Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover loosely; let stand about 15 minutes.
- Cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink in center; remove from skillet and set aside. Cook and stir onion and garlic in remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet until tender.
- Stir in zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, basil and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until excess liquid has evaporated. Stir in reserved chicken; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease baking sheets.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into equal number of 4-inch circles. Combine scraps and reroll dough if necessary. Place half of circles on prepared baking sheets. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture on half the circles; top with remaining circles and seal edges with fork. Cut vents to resemble devil and use dough scraps to make horns, eyes, nose and beard.
- Combine egg yolk and water; brush dough. Add red food coloring to remaining egg yolk mixture. Brush horns and beard with colored egg mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Refrigerate leftovers.
Check out more recipes for Halloween