Double Chocolate Bombe
Makes about 8 servings
|1||envelope unflavored gelatin|
|1||package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips|
|1-1/2||cups whipping cream, divided|
|1||white chocolate baking bar (2 ounces) for drizzling|
|White Chocolate Cut-Outs for garnish|
- Line 2-quart bowl with plastic wrap; lightly oil.
- Place egg yolks and 1/2 cup whipping cream in small bowl; beat slightly with fork. Sprinkle gelatin over egg yolk mixture. Let stand without stirring 5 minutes to soften.
- Melt chocolate chips in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Stir about 1/2 cup melted chocolate into egg yolk mixture. Stir egg yolk mixture back into remaining chocolate in top of double boiler. Continue to heat until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Beat egg whites and salt in clean large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form. (After beaters are lifted from egg white mixture, stiff peaks should remain on top, and when bowl is tilted, mixture will not slide around.) Fold chocolate mixture into egg white mixture with rubber spatula.
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared bowl. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours.
- Prepare Chocolate Cake and White Chocolate Cut-Outs.
- Place cake on serving plate. Unmold mousse onto cake. Remove plastic wrap. Trim edge of cake around mousse, if necessary.
- Place white chocolate baking bar in small resealable freezer bag. Microwave on MEDIUM (50%) 2 minutes. Turn bag over; microwave on MEDIUM 2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Knead bag until chocolate is smooth. Cut off very tiny corner of bag; drizzle chocolate over mousse. Refrigerate until white chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Cakes