Double Malted Cupcakes the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 30 cupcakes
|2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1/4||cup malted milk powder|
|2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1-3/4||cups granulated sugar|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) butter, softened|
|1||cup reduced-fat (2%) or whole milk|
|4||ounces milk chocolate candy bar, broken into chunks|
|1/4||cup (1/2 stick) butter|
|1/4||cup whipping cream|
|1||tablespoon malted milk powder|
|1-3/4||cups powdered sugar|
|30||chocolate-covered malt ball candies|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 30 standard (2-1/2-inch) muffin pan cups with paper baking cups.
- For cupcakes, combine flour, 1/4 cup malted milk powder, baking powder and salt; mix well and set aside. Beat sugar and 1/2 cup butter with electric mixer at medium speed 1 minute. Add milk and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat at low speed 30 seconds. Gradually beat in flour mixture; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg whites; beat 1 minute.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. (Centers of cupcakes will sink slightly upon cooling.) Remove cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely. (At this point, cupcakes may be frozen up to 3 months.)
- For frosting, melt chocolate and 1/4 cup butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Stir in cream, 1 tablespoon malted milk powder and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix well. Gradually stir in powdered sugar. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until small lumps disappear. Remove from heat. Refrigerate 20 minutes, beating every 5 minutes or until frosting is spreadable.
- Spread frosting over cooled cupcake; decorate with malt ball candies. Store at room temperature up to 24 hours or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days before serving.
Check out more recipes for Cupcakes