Eggs-Cellent Easter Cookies
Makes 20 sandwich cookies
|1||package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough|
|1||cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, divided|
|1/4||cup all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon almond extract|
|Blue or green food coloring|
|1||package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened|
|1||tablespoon unsalted butter, softened|
|Red food coloring|
|1/2||cup shredded sweetened coconut|
|Prepared colored decorating icings and decorating gels (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets. Remove dough from wrapper; place in large bowl. Let dough stand at room temperature about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, flour, almond extract and blue food coloring to dough in bowl; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended and evenly colored.
- Shape dough into 40 (2-1/2-inch-long) egg shapes. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, remaining 1 cup powdered sugar and red food coloring (tint pink) in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Stir in coconut.
- Spread pink filling on 20 cookies. Top with remaining 20 cookies to make sandwiches. Decorate tops of sandwiches as desired with colored icings and gels. Let stand until set. Store in refrigerator.
Check out more recipes for Other Special Occasions