Elegant Chocolate Cake Roll the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Elegant Chocolate Cake Roll
Makes 8 to 12 servings
|1/2||cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided|
|5||ounces semisweet chocolate, melted|
|3/4||cup all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2||teaspoon baking soda|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1||(1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate|
|1||cup whipping cream|
|3/4||cup miniature marshmallows|
|1-1/2||cups powdered sugar|
|3||to 4 tablespoons light cream|
|1/4||cup chopped pecans|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 15X10-inch jelly-roll pan with foil, extending foil 1 inch over edges of pan. Grease and flour foil.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in medium bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in melted semisweet chocolate. Add water and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add to chocolate mixture.
- Using clean beaters and large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold in chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Carefully loosen sides of cake from foil. Invert cake onto towel sprinkled with cocoa. Peel off foil. Starting at short end, roll up warm cake, jelly-roll fashion with towel inside. Cool cake completely.
- Meanwhile, place unsweetened chocolate in small microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until almost melted, stirring after each minute. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat whipping cream in separate small bowl with electric mixer at high speed until thickened. Gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Fold in marshmallows.
- Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with whipped cream mixture; reroll cake without towel.
- Combine melted unsweetened chocolate and powdered sugar in small bowl. Stir in light cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until frosting is of spreading consistency. Spread over cake roll. Sprinkle cake with pecans. Refrigerate until serving time.
Check out more recipes for Cakes