Makes 14 to 16 servings
|5-1/2||cups cake batter (1 package cake mix), divided|
|1||(15X15-inch) cake board, covered, or large platter|
|2||containers (16 ounces each) white frosting|
|Assorted food coloring|
|4||sugar ice cream cones|
|50||chocolate-covered wafer cookies|
|9||squares dark chocolate mints|
|Assorted candies, decors and fruit rollups|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 9-inch square cake pan and muffin pan. Pour 3-1/2 cups cake batter into cake pan; pour remaining cake batter into muffin pan (1/4 cup batter per muffin cup). Bake cake in pan 35 to 45 minutes and cupcakes about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pans. Loosen edges; invert onto wire racks and cool completely.
- Trim top and sides of square cake to even out. Slice rounded tops off 4 cupcakes. (Reserve remaining cupcakes for another use.) Place cake on prepared cake board. Place one cupcake upside down on each corner of cake, attaching with small amount of frosting.
- Tint 1 container frosting pink. Divide second container frosting in half; tint half yellow and half purple.
- Frost entire cake and cupcakes with pink frosting. Frost ice cream cones with yellow frosting.
- Place frosted cones on top of cupcakes. Using medium writing tip and purple frosting, pipe decorative lines around tops and bottoms of cones, cupcakes and edges of square cake.
- Place chocolate wafer cookies around sides of cake, alternating whole cookies with cookies cut down by one fourth to create castle wall. Decorate castle with assorted candies, cookies, decors and fruit rollups cut into flag shapes.
Check out more recipes for Other Special Occasions