Fajitas the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|2||beef skirt steaks (about 1 pound each)|
|2||cloves garlic, divided|
|3||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|2||tablespoons plus 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, divided|
|Dash black pepper|
|1/2||cup minced white onion|
|2||large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped|
|2||small green bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined and finely chopped|
|2||tablespoons minced cilantro|
|1||fresh serrano pepper,* minced|
|Refried Beans (recipe follows, optional)|
|Flour tortillas (8-inch diameter) (optional)|
*Serrano peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
- Place steaks between pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with flat side of meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut each steak into 6-inch portions.
- Pound 1 garlic clove with meat mallet to crush into coarse shreds. Combine with 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice and black pepper in large shallow glass baking dish. Add steaks, turning to coat with marinade. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Mince remaining garlic clove. Cook and stir onion and garlic in remaining 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes until onion is softened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro and chili. Season to taste with remaining lime juice. Let stand, covered, at room temperature.
- Remove steaks from marinade; pat dry with paper towels. Discard marinade. Grill over medium heat, uncovered, 10 to 13 minutes for medium-rare to medium or until desired doneness, turning once.
- Reheat beans, if necessary. If not freshly made, soften and warm tortillas.
- Serve steaks with tomato relish, Refried Beans and tortillas.
- Meanwhile, prepare coals for direct grilling.**
Check out more recipes for Mexican