Fall Harvest Spice Cake
Celebrate harvest time with this tempting spice cake topped with sweet, creamy maple frosting and lots of nuts and fruits.
Makes 12 servings
|1||package (18-1/4 ounces) spice or carrot cake mix|
|1/3||cup vegetable oil|
|1/3||cup apple butter|
|Maple Buttercream Frosting|
|2||cups coarsely chopped walnuts|
|1/4||cup semisweet chocolate chips|
|1/4||cup chopped almonds|
|2||tablespoons chopped dried apricots|
|2||tablespoons chopped dried cranberries*|
*If dried cranberries are unavailable, use additional chopped dried apricots and raisins.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Combine cake mix, water, eggs, oil and apple butter in medium bowl. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until blended; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove to from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare Maple Buttercream Frosting.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; frost top with Maple Buttercream Frosting. Top with second cake layer; frost top and sides with frosting. Press walnuts onto side of cake.
- Pipe chocolate onto cake for tree trunk. Combine almonds, apricots, cranberries and raisins. Sprinkle above and below trunk to make leaves.
Place chocolate chips in a resealable plastic sandwich bag. Close bag tightly. Microwave on HIGH about 45 seconds; knead chocolate until it is melted. Repeat if necessary, microwaving 30 seconds at a time. Twist the top of the bag tightly against the chocolate. Snip a tiny tip (about 1/8 inch) off one corner of the bag. Hold the top of the bag tightly and pipe the chocolate through the opening.
Check out more recipes for Cakes