Farmhouse Lemon Meringue Pie the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Farmhouse Lemon Meringue Pie
Makes 8 servings
|1||frozen reduced-fat pie crust, baked according to package directions|
|4||eggs, at room temperature|
|3||tablespoons lemon juice|
|2||tablespoons reduced-fat margarine, melted|
|2||teaspoons grated lemon peel|
|3||drops yellow food coloring (optional)|
|2/3||cup sugar, divided|
|1||cup cold water|
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Separate eggs, discarding 2 egg yolks; set aside. Mix lemon juice, margarine, lemon peel and food coloring, if desired, in small bowl; set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons sugar. Combine water, remaining sugar, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Heat over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove from heat.
- Stir 1/4 cup boiling sugar mixture into remaining 2 egg yolks; whisk constantly until completely blended. Slowly whisk egg yolk mixture back into boiling sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice mixture until well blended. Pour into baked pie crust.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in reserved 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie filling with rubber spatula, making sure meringue completely covers filling and touches edge of pie crust.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven; cool completely on wire rack. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight until filling is firm and pie is chilled thoroughly. Cut into 8 slices before serving. Garnish, if desired.
|Serving Size:||1 pie slice|
|Calories from Fat||40 %|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Check out more recipes for Pies & Tarts