Fettuccine alla Carbonara the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Fettuccine alla Carbonara
Makes 4 servings
|3/4||pound uncooked fettuccine or spaghetti|
|4||ounces pancetta (Italian bacon) or lean American bacon, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips|
|3||cloves garlic, cut into halves|
|1/4||cup dry white wine|
|1/3||cup whipping cream|
|2/3||cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided|
|Generous dash white pepper|
|Fresh oregano leaves for garnish|
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions just until al dente; remove from heat. Drain well; return to dry pan.
- Cook and stir pancetta and garlic in large skillet over medium-low heat 4 minutes or until pancetta is lightly browned. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet with pancetta. Discard garlic and remaining drippings.
- Add wine to pancetta mixture; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until wine is almost evaporated. Stir in cream; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg and egg yolk in top of double boiler. Place top of double boiler over simmering water, adjusting heat to maintain simmer. Whisk 1/3 cup cheese and pepper into egg mixture; cook and stir until sauce thickens slightly.
- Pour pancetta mixture over fettuccine in pan; toss to coat. Heat over medium-low heat until heated through. Stir in egg mixture. Toss to coat evenly. Remove from heat. Serve with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Italian