Fillets with Mole Verde the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Fillets with Mole Verde
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|1/4||cup vegetable oil, divided|
|1/4||cup chopped white onion|
|1||or 2 fresh jalapeño peppers,* seeded and finely chopped|
|1||cup fresh tomatillos, husked, or 1 can (8 ounces) tomatillos, drained and chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/3||cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided|
|1/3||cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro|
|1/2||teaspoon salt, divided|
|1/3||cup all-purpose flour|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||tablespoons butter or margarine|
|1-1/2||to 2 pounds small red snapper fillets or skinless sole fillets|
|Cilantro sprig and tomatillos for garnish|
|Carrot sticks (optional)|
*Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in small skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and jalapeño peppers. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until softened. Add tomatillos, garlic and cumin. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add 1/3 cup water, chopped cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Pour into blender; process until smooth. Return sauce to skillet; remove from heat. Set aside.
- Combine flour, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper on plate. Beat egg with remaining 1 tablespoon water in shallow bowl.
- Heat butter and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until foamy. Working with as many fillets as will fit in skillet in single layer, lightly coat each fillet on both sides with flour mixture; shake off excess. Dip into egg mixture; let excess drain off. Cook 4 to 8 minutes until light brown on outside and opaque at center, turning once. Remove to serving plate; keep warm. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Quickly heat reserved sauce over medium heat until hot, stirring frequently. Pour over and around fish. Garnish, if desired. Serve with carrot sticks.
Check out more recipes for Mexican