This recipe is part of the recipe for Dilled Salmon Mushroom Chowder
Makes about 10 cups stock
|1-3/4||pounds fish skeletons and heads from lean fish, such as red snapper, cod, halibut or flounder|
|3||stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces|
|10||cups cold water|
|3/4||teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed|
*Use any combination of herbs and spices, such as parsley stems, thyme sprigs, peppercorns, whole cloves, bay leaves and garlic cloves for Herb Bouquet. Wrap small bundles in cheesecloth or tie with string.
- Rinse fish; cut out gills and discard.
- Trim tops and roots from onions, leaving most of the dried outer skin intact; cut into wedges.
- In stockpot or Dutch oven combine fish skeletons and heads, onions and celery. Add water, lemon, thyme, peppercorns and Herb Bouquet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, skimming foam that rises to the surface.
- Remove stock from heat and cool slightly. Strain stock through large sieve or colander lined with several layers of damp cheesecloth, removing all bones, vegetables and seasonings; discard.
- Use immediately or refrigerate stock in tightly covered container up to 2 days or freeze stock in freezer containers for several months.
Check out more recipes for Broths & Stock