Focaccia the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Focaccia is a savory Italian flat bread that is served as an accompaniment to soups and salads.
Makes 12 servings
|1||package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast|
|1-1/2||cups warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|4||cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|7||tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|10||fresh sage leaves, finely chopped|
|5||whole fresh sage leaves|
|1||teaspoon coarse or kosher salt|
- To proof yeast, sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water in large bowl; stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
- Add 3 cups flour, 3 tablespoons oil and salt to yeast mixture, stirring until soft dough forms.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; flatten slightly. To knead dough, fold dough in half toward you and press dough away from you with heels of hands. Give dough a quarter turn and continue folding, pushing and turning. Continue kneading 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic, adding remaining 1 cup flour to prevent sticking, if necessary. Shape dough into ball; place in large greased bowl. Turn dough over so that top is greased. Cover with towel. Let rise in warm place 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- To test dough, lightly press 2 fingertips 1/2 inch into dough. Dough is ready if indentations remain when fingertips are removed.
- Grease 15-1/2X10-1/2-inch jelly-roll pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; sprinkle with chopped sage. Knead dough several times to distribute sage evenly. Let dough stand 5 minutes to rest.
- Flatten dough into rectangle on lightly floured surface. Roll out dough almost to size of pan with lightly floured rolling pin. Place dough in pan; stretch out and pat to edges of pan.
- Poke surface of dough with end of wooden spoon handle, making indentations every inch or two. Brush with remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Press remaining 5 sage leaves gently on top; sprinkle with coarse salt. Cover with towel. Let rise in warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 12 rectangles. Serve hot.
|Serving Size:||1 focaccia rectangle|
|Calories from Fat||34 %|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Check out more recipes for Italian