Pavlova -- Australia and New Zealand
If you were going to dedicate a cake to a ballerina, you'd probably want it to be delicate, light and lovely -- right? That's exactly what happened in when it came to developing pavlova. Both Australia and New Zealand claim this creation as a national culinary treasure. A cake fit for a dancer, pavlova was originally created to honor Russian ballet superstar Anna Pavlova. A masterpiece of timing and patience, a pavlova is a meringue cake that has a crisp exterior and a soft, marshmallowy center. It's traditionally served with whipped cream and fresh fruit, but Stephanie Jaworski at "Joy of Baking" advises that tart fruits, like kiwi, raspberries and passion fruit, help balance the super-sweet meringue.
If you want to prepare a pavlova of your own, you can bake it ahead and store it in a cool, dry place until you need it [source: Jaworski].
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- All Baking Recipes. "International Cake Recipes." Undated. 2/14/10.http://www.allbakingrecipes.com/baking-recipes/international-cakes/international-cakes.php
- Beyond French. "Gateau des Rois Recipe." Undated. 2/12/10.http://www.beyond.fr/food/gateaudesrois.html
- Brown, Alton. "Tres Leche Cake Recipe. Food Network. 2007. 2/11/10.http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tres-leche-cake-recipe/index.html?rsrc=search
- Chatholic Culture.org. " Gateau des Rois." 1990. 2/10/10.http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/recipes/view.cfm?id=1298
- Davidson, Alan. "The Oxford Companion to Food." Penguin Books. 1999.
- Delia Online. "Sachertorte Recipe." Undated. 2/15/10.http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/sachertorte.html
- Delia Online. "Scottish Whisky Dundee Cake." Undated. 2/12/10.http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/scottish-whisky-dundee-cake.html
- Easy Home Cooking Magazine. "Condensed Milk vs. Evaporated Milk." TLC.com. Undated. 2/12/10.https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/condensed-milk-vs-evaporated-milk.htm
- Fabulous Foods. "Kulich - Russian Easter Bread." 7/23/07. 2/12/10.http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/43/17750
- Food Museum. "The History of Cake." Undated. 2/12/10.http://www.foodmuseum.com/excake2.html
- Food Timeline. "Cakes." Undated. 2/10/10.http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcakes.html
- Freson, Robert. "The Taste of France." Stewart, Tabori & Chang. 1983.
- Fun Trivia. "Which Country Invented Cake." 10/10/08. 2/12/10.http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question100112.html
- Jaworski, Stephanie. "Pavlova Recipe." Joy of Baking. Undated. 2/10/10.http://www.joyofbaking.com/Pavlova.html
- Mesnier, Roland and Lauren Chattman. "Roland Mesnier's Basic to Beautiful Cakes." Simon & Schuster. 2007.
- Pack, M.M. "On the Trail of Pastel de Tres Leches." The Austin Chronicle. 2/13/04. 2/12/10.http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid%3A196888
- Peters, Colette. "Cakes to Dream On." John Wiley & Sons. 2005.
- Prime Time Russia. "Easter Exclusive: Kremlin's Festive Pies." 4/26/08. 2/14/10.http://rt.com/prime-time/2008-04-26/Easter_exclusive_Kremlins_festive_pies.html
- Rampant Scotland. "Traditional Scottish Recipes." Undated. 2/14/10.http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_dundee.htm
- Stucchi, Lorenza De Medici. "Great Desserts." International Culinary Society. 1989.
- Tongue in Cheek. "French Gateau de Rois." 1990. 2/12/10.http://willows95988.typepad.com/tongue_cheek/2006/01/french_gateaux_.html
- What's Cooking America. "The History of Cake." Undated. 2/12/10.http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/CakeHistory.htm
- Winget, Mary. "Desserts Around the World." Lerner Publications. 1991.
- WiseGeek.com "What is Condensed Milk." Undated. 2/14/10.http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-condensed-milk.htm
It's a pie. Filled with squash. Who in the world decided that was a good idea? HowStuffWorks slices and dices the history of the pumpkin pie.