Chocolate may not be your thing (gasp!) but fear not, there's still plenty of Valentine's Day dessert decadence to partake in. With butter, brown sugar, carmelized bananas and rum as the main ingredients, this rich dish is certain to appease many a sweet tooth. Take note, it requires a flambé, so be sure to wait for a nip of rum until after the fire is out.
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 bananas
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Barbecue lighter
- Peel bananas and cut them in half length-wise. Do this at the last minute to keep from browning.
- Put stick of butter in a large pan and melt on medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir well until fully incorporated.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add bananas. Cook until they're well-caramelized.
- Turn off the stove and add the rum, then light it with the barbecue lighter. Be sure to stand back because the flame will rise out of the pan.
- Wait for the flame to subside, and then serve over vanilla ice cream or a slice of pound cake.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "Chocolate Fondue Recipe." Extremechocolate.com, 2010. http://www.extremechocolate.com/chocolatefonduerecipe.html
- "Chocolate Mousse." Simplyrecipes.com, October 21, 2005. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chocolate_mousse/
- "Chocolate Truffles." Foodnetwork.com, 2004. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-truffles-recipe/index.html
- "Foods Thought To Act As Aphrodisiacs." Cbsnews.com, February 13, 2009.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/13/earlyshow/main4799238.shtml
- "Paula's Bananas Foster." Foodnetwork.com, 2010. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-bananas-foster-recipe/index.html
- "Red Velvet Cupcakes." Countryliving.com, 2010. http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/red-velvet-cupcakes
- "Valentine's Day Desserts." Joyofbaking.com, 2010. http://www.joyofbaking.com/other/ValentinesDayDesserts.html
It's a pie. Filled with squash. Who in the world decided that was a good idea? HowStuffWorks slices and dices the history of the pumpkin pie.