Mexican chocolate adds a little spice to the sweet.
- 1 package (8 ounces) semisweet baking chocolate, divided
- 1 3/4 cups, plus 1/3 cup whole almonds, divided
- 3/4 sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
- Put 5 squares of chocolate in food processor coarsely chop.
- Add 1 3/4 cups almonds and sugar and process using pulsing action until mixture is finely ground.
- Add cinnamon, vanilla and egg whites, and process until mixture forms moist dough.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Press 1 whole almond in center of each dough ball.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets, and then move to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place remaining 3 chocolate squares in small resealable food storage bag, seal it and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Knead bag and microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted, kneading after each interval.
- Cut small corner off bag and drizzle chocolate over cookies.
- Let cookies stand until set and then serve.
Yields: 3 dozen cookies