Food takes on flavors of the wine you cook with, just as it does with spices. Use white wine for sauces, sautes, soups, marinades or other dishes. Depending on what you do with the wine, the alcohol in it often evaporates completely during cooking.
One recommendation is to cook with a wine you'd enjoy drinking. Don't use the cheapest wine you can find or use an expensive bottle. This way, you avoid infusing your food with the unpleasant notes of cheap wine or wasting a perfectly good bottle that's meant to be enjoyed on its own (so that you can detect all of its complexities without interference from food flavors).
One benefit of cooking with white rather than red wine is that it doesn't turn your food red.
- Bauer, Joy. "Is wine good for you?" MSN Today Health. June 4, 2008. (July 1, 2011)
- Clark, Josh. "Should I drink a glass of wine each day to prevent aging?" HowStuffWorks.com. April 23, 2009. (July 1, 2011) https://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/diet-aging/wine-anti-aging.htm
- E.C. Kraus Home Wine & Beer Making Supplies. "Making High Alcohol Wines." 2009. (July 1, 2011) http://eckraus.com/wine-making-high-alcohol.html
- FatSecret. "Calories in White Wine." 2011. (July 4, 2011) http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/white-wine
- Freudenrich, Craig, Ph.D. "How Winemaking Works." HowStuffWorks.com. March 28, 2001. (July 1, 1011) https://www.howstuffworks.com/innovation/everyday-innovations/winemaking.htm
- Grapebizs. "Why is organic wine more expensive than regular wine when the producers have saved money on fertilizers?" 2011. (July 1, 2011) http://grapebizs.com/why-is-organic-wine-more-expensive-than-regular-wine-when-the-producers-have-saved-money-on-fertlizers
- Healthy Weight Forum. "Calories in Wine." 2007. (July 1, 2011)
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Heart Disease." Mayo Clinic. 2011. (July 1, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089
- Organic Consumers Association. "Clearing up the Confusion about Organic Wine." (July 1, 2011) http://www.organicconsumers.org/Organic/OrganicWine.cfm
- Professional Friends of Wine. "Wine and Health." April 16, 2011. (July 1, 2011) http://www.winepros.org/wine101/wine-health.htm
- SparkPeople. "Calories in Chardonnay." 2011. (July 4, 2011) http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=chardonnay
- Vegan Wine Guide. "Frequently asked questions." (July 1, 2011) http://vegans.frommars.org/wine/faq.php#1
- "Wine And Heart Health." May 16, 2007. (July 1, 2011) https://healthguide.howstuffworks.com/wine-and-heart-health-dictionary.htm
- Wineanorak. "Tannins." (July 1, 2011). http://www.wineanorak.com/tannins.htm
The 2011 Fukushima nuclear accident caused a measurable but harmless increase in the levels of a radioactive isotope in a few bottles of California wine.